The Phoenix Force has remained on Earth, jumping from host to host, in the pages of Avengers, with a different iconic superhero bonding with the cosmic entity next: Black Panther.
Marvel shared a preview of Avengers #41, by Jason Aaron and Javier Garrón, with Earth's Mightiest Heroes enduring a gauntlet by the Phoenix Force to find a suitable new host. While T'Challa is meditating back home in Wakanda, he is attacked by a Phoenix-bonded Man-Thing and inherits the Phoenix's fiery powers himself in an epic showdown. The preview pages -- written by Aaron, illustrated by Garrón, colored by David Curiel and lettered by VC's Cory Petit -- can be seen below along with the standard cover illustrated by Leinil Francis Yu and colored by Sunny Gho.
- JASON AARON (W) • JAVIER GARRÓN (A) • COVER BY LEINIL YU
- DESIGN VARIANT COVER by Javier Garrón
- CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY DUSTIN WEAVER
- MARVEL VS. ALIEN VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
- THE BATTLE TO DECIDE THE ALL-NEW PHOENIX CONTINUES!
- Who will wield the power of the PHOENIX FORCE? A globe-spanning tournament is underway, under the direction of the firebird itself, pitting some of Marvel’s greatest heroes against their fiercest enemies and also against each other, giving each of them a taste of the awesome cosmic might that’s at stake. All will be transformed. Not all will survive.
- 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Previously, the Phoenix pit Captain America and Doctor Doom against one another, with both figures bonded to the Phoenix Force while battling in the Savage Land. With T'Challa already expressing a deep distrust of the Phoenix, he may have set aside his difference with it to overcome Man-Thing and survive.
Written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by Javier Garrón, Avengers #41 goes on sale Jan. 20 from Marvel Comics.